2/29/08

Hot time on cold slopes at Snow Trails Winter Carnival


WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP -- Ileah Shaffer and Jeff King paid a heavy price in light clothing Saturday.


Shaffer, a 25-year-old Akron resident, cruised down the slope in a white bikini. "This is actually only the third time I've ever been snowboarding," Shaffer said. "I think I fell like five times, but I lost a bet and that's why I'm here."

King, 25, said his scantily-clad trip could have been avoided.

"I bet the (New England) Patriots would win the Super Bowl and lost that," said the Akron resident, who sported a gray, blue and red-striped Speedo. "But it's all good. I got confidence."

Cars lined Possum Run Road on Saturday as snow enthusiasts packed Snow Trails to help celebrate the 47th annual Winter Carnival.

Sporting a black string bikini, Carmen Spillman, 19, said this was her first year entering the famous bikini race.

"I worried about going too fast, but I guess that's the point of the race," the Bellville teen said. "I would definitely do it again."

Amy Johnson and Jeanie Smith drove in from Sunbury to participate.

"It's an adrenaline rush," said Smith, 19. "I would do this until I'm 40."

Wearing a red paisley Speedo, Chad Schlereth, 23, said he's a veteran in the Chippendale competition.

"I've done this three years, and I get a new Speedo every time," the Mansfield resident said. "I'm not embarrassed. This is just a good ol' time."

Despite a few snowballs tossed his way, Tom Traxler, 38, said he also enjoyed the experience.

"My kids overheard me say that this would be easy and they didn't let me forget it," Traxler said, laughing.

Chris Steffey, 31, said his wife and two children cheered him on as he skied down the hill wearing a colorful Speedo and matching set of beads.

"Oh no, I'm not embarrassed," Steffey said with a laugh. "Look at this body."

Joe Russ carried a green Wright State University flag in place of his ski poles.

"We're going to send that to our college president," said friend and fellow Chippendale competitor Eric Thomas, 22. "I'm sure he'll be real proud."

Earlier in the day, several competitive skiers and snowboarders entered the Amstel Light Challenge through a snowy obstacle course.

Quinton Glenn, 11, said he took 37 pictures of his father Walter, the first competitor of the day.

"I've probably done this six times," said Walter, 57. "It's getting a lot harder."

Derek Cuthbertson, 36, and his wife Amy, 34, were the only married team to compete.

"This was kind of a challenge against my husband," Amy said. "But it was pretty hard running up the hill with that snow tube. It felt like it was 100 pounds.

"It was fun to do once, but probably not again."

No comments: